Lily's Blog

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” -John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Writer’s Craft Collection

Here I will post quotes or scenes from books and movies that I enjoy:

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”
-Roald Dahl, The Twits

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“I’m in love with you,” he said quietly.
“Augustus,” I said.
“I am,” he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“Oh, I wouldn’t mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“It’s a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do its killing.”
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia. You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.”
-John Green, Looking For Alaska

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
-Veronica Roth, Divergent

“Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
-Veronica Roth, Divergent

“I am selfish. I am brave.” ~Tris (Beatrice) Prior
-Veronica Roth, Divergent

“You can never visit the same place twice. Each time, it’s a different story. By the very act of coming back, you wipe out what came before.”
-Maureen Johnson, The Last Little Blue Envelope

“It’s always easier to say good-bye when you know it’s just a prelude to hello.”
-Maureen Johnson, The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

“To say ‘I love you’ one must know first how to say the ‘I.’”
-Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

“Even strength has to bow to wisdom sometimes.”
-Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

“We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.”
-Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

“Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.”
-Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

“We’re all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.”
-J.K Rowling, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows

“There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
-J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

“Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”
-J.K Rowling, Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone

“You are the true master of death, because the true master does not seek to run away from Death. He accepts that he must die, and understands that there are far, far worse things in the living world than dying.”

“It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”

“Eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart.”
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

“It is difficult, when faced with a situation you cannot control, to admit that you can do nothing.”
-Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can’t Avoid

“No one is ever who you want them to be.”
-Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, Dash & Lily’s Book Of Dares

“No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same.”
Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why

“The term “forgive and forget” doesn’t make sense to me. Forgiving does allow us to stop dwelling on an issue, which isn’t always healthy. But if we forget, we don’t learn from our mistakes.”
-Meg Cabot, Abandon

“Don’t ever let them tell you that you’re too stupid to do something. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy for you. Maybe you’re going to have to work for it a little harder than other people, which I know isn’t fair. But that doesn’t mean you should just give up.”
-Meg Cabot, Abandon

“A million dollars sounds like a lot, I know. Especially when you’re young. But you can’t let money erode your principles or you’ll wind up with nothing.”
-Wendelin Van Draanen, Sammy Keyes And The Dead Giveaway

“The choices we make can have lasting consequences.”
-Joan Bauer, Thwonk

“There are some things your mind has been hiding from you.”
-Obert Skye, Leven Thumps And The Gateway To Foo

“How much good inside a day?
Depends how good you live ‘em.
How much love inside a friend?
Depends how much you give ‘em.”
-Shel Silverstein, A Light In The Attic

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Recent Comments

Skip to toolbar